Job

Author: Victor Odhner
Subject: Job
Jim wrote:
> Another possibility is a Jobs page on the PLUG web site.
> This would entail a whole lot more work to add and delete
> jobs and availabilities. I bet we could come up with a
> way to automate this process.

In 1993-1994, I was a member of the Arizona Professional
Employment Network (AzPEN). We had meetings (including an
excellent one on resume writing), and talked about being
unemployed. We also had our OWN OFFICE in two valley
locations, inside DES offices, where we kept lists of
available jobs and took phone calls for postings and
bodies available. So it was sort of what this proposed
web site would become, in a 1990s sort of way.

I watched it fall apart as the effective people got out
there and hustled up jobs. And I believe it was a total
waste of time on the part of the volunteers.

PLUG is an excellent networking opportunity. There are
a zillion job boards out there, and if something's going
to get posted you'll find it there. But most job connections
are made through networking, and we do that well here.
It's each person's job to get out there and find work,
and as much as we techies hate the marketing track,
it's just something we have to do.

As someone in this chain mentioned, a lot of jobs never
get posted. If we post 'em here, then whoever picks up
on them will have a head start. But to put them into some
database, in today's market, is a waste: the winner will
be interviewing before anyone hits the web site.

I recommend we use this list, and also the AZIPA jobs
list, to discuss what we know and post hot opportunities.
But there is such a wide range of talents and jobs, and
the requirements are so very specific, that automating
the job locally is likely not to be the best use of a
job-seeker's time.

Vic