KDE and speed

Author: Lucas Vogel
Subject: KDE and speed
> Applications take about 10 seconds or more to load for me, konqueror,
> kmail, etc - and of course, StarOffice, a whapping 30-45 seconds. This
> must be due to my processor being only an AMD K6-III 400 MHZ. 1 GHZ sounds
> appetizing right now. I have about 400MB of RAM, some 256MB of swap space,
> and a few EIDE hard drives - Maxtor, Western Digital, and Quantom (with
> varying ns speeds). I have one question regarding speed - is SCSI any
> faster than the latest EIDE hard drives?

This is what I'm talking about - on my 1Ghz processor, my 7200 rpm hard
drive, and everything else, netscape takes over 7 seconds to load - and I
just loaded it previously about 20 minutes ago. Konqueror takes about 4-5
seconds. I don't think this is acceptable performance - in fact, I think it's
pretty darn slow. Call me crazy, tell me where my bottlenecks might be, but
this to me is too slow.

P.S. As per Kurt's suggestion, if I could figure out how to get KDE to work
w/ VNC I'd be more than happy to try it out.

- --
Lucas Vogel
Key ID: 0A64769C3E2AC1E0E