KDE and speed

Author: Rick Rosinski
Subject: KDE and speed
> But rather than go there now, I'd like to know why 2-3 seconds is "doggedly
> slow" to you? I also have a 1Ghz Athlon with 384MB memory and a 100UDMA

Applications take about 10 seconds or more to load for me, konqueror, kmail,
etc - and of course, StarOffice, a whapping 30-45 seconds. This must be due
to my processor being only an AMD K6-III 400 MHZ. 1 GHZ sounds appetizing
right now. I have about 400MB of RAM, some 256MB of swap space, and a few
EIDE hard drives - Maxtor, Western Digital, and Quantom (with varying ns
speeds). I have one question regarding speed - is SCSI any faster than the
latest EIDE hard drives?

--
Rick Rosinski
http://rickrosinski.com