Network Engineer

Author: Linux
Subject: Network Engineer
> Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2001 11:13:06 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Matt Alexander <>
> To: <>
> Subject: Re: Network Engineer
> I like the part about needing 5 years of experience with
> Win2K and other operating systems that haven't been
> out that long. It reminds me of a few years back when
> I was seeing job listings for "Senior Java Developer -
> Must have 8-10 years experience with
> Java programming in an Enterprise environment."

I find these ads very humorous myself!

> But you do make an interesting point. I think that
> those of us in this industry have been WAY overpaid
> for quite a few years now.

I disagree. One has a reasonable expectation of make a living. $35,000 a
year is a start. There is a shortage of tech people why? Long Hours, Low
Pay, HIGH level of Responsibility! I can hang around a car lot 50 hours a
week and make $50,000 plus a year with little or no education. There is a
skill however it is a "soft" skill. I think most people can sell a car with
a couple weeks training and a few months coaching. Should you not make
atleast as much as a car salesman?

I personally would refuse working for that kind of money unless I am
learning a ton. I hope we all refuse to work for $35,000 a year, post entry
level.

> As the carnage from the
> dot-com bubble settles, I'm guessing that salaries
> will shrink back down to a more reasonable level.
> ~M

Can you support your family in the Phoenix or Tucson area on $35,000 a year?

Keith