X Window Server Crashes Bad

Author: David A. Sinck
Subject: X Window Server Crashes Bad

\_ SMTP quoth Michael J. Schweppe on 7/2/2001 04:38 as having spake thusly:
\_
\_ Hi All:
\_
\_ Remember me, the one who asked about the 3d card recommendation? Well,
\_ I did get the NVidia card with the evil closed-source drivers <g>, and
\_ believe it or not I'm having big time problems.
\_
\_ This is what I need real help with from you folks: The NVidia kernel
\_ module is not getting properly initialized and in turn my X-Windows
\_ server is getting thoroughly crashed, to the point that I cannot escape
\_ the console into X even with Red Hat's Xconfigurator. This is all new
\_ water to me so I do what I can in console, but in order to 'try again' I
\_ reinstall everything--which is somewhat time consuming.
\_
\_ My questions are 1) does anyone have experience working with NVidia
\_ drivers

#nvidia on irc.openprojects.net

I believe they even have reps from nvidia in there....

\_ and more importantly 2) how do I recover to get back into X when
\_ the server has crashed?

It depends. I'm fairly certain that the nvidia drivers are not
compatible with the XConfigurator, ut I wouldn't swear to it.

Perhaps:

get the latest drivers
print the HOWTO
clarify if needed on #nvidia
install the kernel mods by hand
clarify if needed on #nvidia
install the X-driver mods by hand
clarify if needed on #nvidia
launch?

YMMV, and there may only be a smoking hole where you were sitting when
you are done. :-)

I'm a bit concerned about the 'reinstall everything' comment. Are you
trying to installed nvidia drivers on initial install of the box? I
bet you really don't want to try that.

David