[OT] -- Fry's and other retailers

Author: Jasonjkenner@mindspring.com
Subject: [OT] -- Fry's and other retailers
"Steven M. Klass" wrote:

> In terms of Fry's..
>          When I lived in Wisconsin, you could not legally search anybody
> unless if you suspected them of theft ( I worked in theft prevention).  In
> which case it was a private room and not a public forum.  I very rarely pay
> any attention to them as I walk past them.  If they attempt to stop me, a
> stern look usually is all that is needed.  If they make a scene, I would
> think a public harassment charge could be brought up?..  My thought is,
> that if they conducted themselves a bit more professional, and actually did
> a search instead of a glance, and (in general) treated you better, I
> wouldn't mind it.  I can't count the number of times I had to return
> already returned merchandise,  was treated like a criminal for doing so,
> and then questioned about it..

The policy at Checker is currently something like the following:

Ask the person if they'd like to purchase the item if they are still
in the store. Dont follow anyone.
Notify a manager and/or the police. Dont discuss amounts or what on
the phone.
Let them walk...

The general reason for this policy being even a high-value theft is
far cheaper than the workers comp that could result from even a simple
fistfight, let alone real injuries....

--
jkenner @ mindspring . com__
I Support Linux:           _> _  _ |_  _  _     _|