Cable Modem

Author: der.hans
Subject: Cable Modem
Am 21. Sep, 2000 schwäzte Ronald Ellis so:

> Help!
>
> I am running Linux-mandrake 7.1 I am having problems with my cable
> modem. I use @home here in Phoenix. DHCP. I have configured my NIC
> statically and I can ping my loopback and the IP address, but I fail
> when I try to ping the gateway or any external address. I get NO ERRORS
> on etc/rc.d/init.d/network restart. But yet I cannot get out. Checking
> /var/logs/messages -50 I see the error
> 'SIOCSIFFLAGS resource temporarily unavailable.' (among other

This looks like a resource conflict with the ethernet card.

What does 'ifconfig -a' give you? Do you have an entry for the ethernet
card? If you do and it lists an IP address we need the 'ifconfig eth0' and
'netstat -rn' info Rod asked for.

> successful entries). I
> have no idea what this means. I have scoured the HOWTO's and any other
> information regarding cable modems and tried all fix's with no effect.
> It is probably something obvious that my relative inexperience in Linux
> shows.
>
> I have also tried with configuring for DHCP. No dice. No blink of data
> on the cable modem. Ive tried fifty different ways of routing. Is this
> a routing problem? Is the error
> message above one that someone is familiar with? I have no idea how to
> resolve this, as I'm new to Linux (recent mutineer from MicroSoft) and
> am frustrated by this. It would be idiotic if I couldn't use my cable
> modem with Linux.

If the box is duel boot check what ints are in use for what under m$, then
see what the scoop is for Linux. You might need to hardcode your eth card
to use a specific irq.

ciao,

der.hans
--