editors

Author: Kevin Buettner
Subject: editors
On Aug 24, 11:24am, Joel Dudley wrote:

> Like I had previously stated to the PLUG, I am teaching myself
> programming. Currently I am using my favorite editor, Pico, to
> create my source code. Now Pico works great, but I was wondering if
> any of the code gnomes out there knew of any text editors that
> facilitated coding (I am doing java right now) better. I am not
> interested in any IDE's at the moment because I want my learning
> experience to be very raw, if that makes any sense. Thank you for
> taking the time to read my message.

Several suggestions...

vile or xvile: See http://www.vile.cx.

It'll do on-the-fly syntax coloring for quite a few programming
languages. Also, it can be built to use Perl as an extension
language. (Implemented by yours truly.) It uses vi keybindings
so you'll train your fingers to use the standard editor of most
Unix systems.

nedit: See http://nedit.org/

Also does on-the-fly syntax coloring. It does come with a set of
keybindings (and I think you can even change some of them), but it's
definitely intended for folks who like to use the mouse to do most
of the cursor positioning.

XEmacs: See http://xemacs.org/

emacs does everything. XEmacs is a lot like the emacs from the GNU
project (in fact it came about as the result of a fork that never
got merged back). I don't use emacs, but XEmacs looks a lot nicer
to me...

Kevin