Looking for tools

Author: KevinBuettnerkev@primenet.com
Subject: Looking for tools
On Feb 23, 9:00pm, Lucas Vogel wrote:
> Can I get some recommendations for a WSIWYG HTML editor and a CLI
> program that converts images to other formats(example: jpeg to png, bmp
> to png)?

I don't have a recommendation for a WYSIWYG HTML editor. (I don't
edit much HTML anymore, but when I do, I still prefer to do it by
hand. And I really hate it when an automatic tool sucks in my
neatly formatted HTML and makes a mess of it.)

As for the command line image conversion tools, you probably already
have a complete set installed on your linux box. The programs in
question are part of the libgr-progs collection. On my Red Hat 6.0
box, the version number for the RPM is libgr-progs-2.0.13-17.

Here's a complete list of the programs:

    anytopnm asciitopgm atktopbm bioradtopgm bmptoppm brushtopbm
    cmuwmtopbm fitstopnm fstopgm g3topbm gemtopbm giftopnm gouldtoppm
    hipstopgm hpcdtoppm icontopbm ilbmtoppm imgtoppm lispmtopgm
    macptopbm mgrtopbm mtvtoppm pbmclean pbmlife pbmmake pbmmask
    pbmpscale pbmreduce pbmtext pbmto10x pbmto4425 pbmtoascii pbmtoatk
    pbmtobbnbg pbmtocmuwm pbmtoepsi pbmtoepson pbmtog3 pbmtogem
    pbmtogo pbmtoicon pbmtolj pbmtoln03 pbmtolps pbmtomacp pbmtomgr
    pbmtopgm pbmtopi3 pbmtopk pbmtoplot pbmtoptx pbmtox10bm pbmtoxbm
    pbmtoybm pbmtozinc pbmupc pcxtoppm pgmbentley pgmcrater pgmedge
    pgmenhance pgmhist pgmkernel pgmnoise pgmnorm pgmoil pgmramp
    pgmtexture pgmtofs pgmtolispm pgmtopbm pgmtoppm pi1toppm pi3topbm
    picttoppm pjtoppm pktopbm pngtopnm pnmalias pnmarith pnmcat
    pnmcomp pnmconvol pnmcrop pnmcut pnmdepth pnmenlarge pnmfile
    pnmflip pnmgamma pnmhisteq pnmhistmap pnmindex pnminvert pnmmargin
    pnmnlfilt pnmnoraw pnmpad pnmpaste pnmrotate pnmscale pnmshear
    pnmsmooth pnmtile pnmtoddif pnmtofits pnmtopng pnmtops pnmtorast
    pnmtosgi pnmtosir pnmtotiff pnmtoxwd ppm3d ppmbrighten ppmchange
    ppmdim ppmdist ppmdither ppmflash ppmforge ppmhist ppmmake ppmmix
    ppmnorm ppmntsc ppmpat ppmquant ppmquantall ppmqvga ppmrelief
    ppmshift ppmspread ppmtoacad ppmtobmp ppmtogif ppmtoicr ppmtoilbm
    ppmtomap ppmtomitsu ppmtopcx ppmtopgm ppmtopi1 ppmtopict ppmtopj
    ppmtopjxl ppmtopuzz ppmtorgb3 ppmtosixel ppmtotga ppmtouil
    ppmtoxpm ppmtoyuv ppmtoyuvsplit psidtopgm pstopnm qrttoppm
    rasttopnm rawtopgm rawtoppm rgb3toppm sgitopnm sirtopnm sldtoppm
    spctoppm spottopgm sputoppm tgatoppm tifftopnm xbmtopbm ximtoppm
    xpmtoppm xvminitoppm xwdtopnm ybmtopbm yuvsplittoppm yuvtoppm
    zeisstopnm

Also, there are some useful utilities from libjpeg-6b-9:

    cjpeg djpeg jpegtran rdjpgcom wrjpgcom

Amazing, huh?

Anyway, to do convert a GIF file to a JPEG file, you could do it like
this:

    giftopnm image.gif | cjpeg >image.jpg

And if you wanted to convert a GIF to a PNG, you could do it like this:

    giftopnm image.gif | pnmtopng >image.png

Here's how you'd enlarge a GIF file two and a half times and convert
it to a PNG file:

    giftopnm image.gif | pnmscale 2.5 | pnmsmooth | pnmtopng >bigimage.png

There are lots of command line options associated with these tools
and there are lots of tools. You can scale your images, change
the aspect ratio, crop them, do gamma correction, etc, etc, etc.
Consult the man pages. (I've only used a handful of them, but
they're incredibly useful and not that hard to use.)

Hope this helps,

Kevin

--
Kevin Buettner