Phoenix is emerging as the city of the future

techlists at phpcoderusa.com techlists at phpcoderusa.com
Mon Jun 26 11:43:55 MST 2023

On 2023-06-25 19:25, Steve Litt via PLUG-discuss wrote:
> Keith Smith via PLUG-discuss said on Thu, 22 Jun 2023 13:52:06 -0700
>
>> Yes water is an issue.
>
> This was my first thought upon reading the subject of your post. This
> is a huge challenge.
>
>> And when I think of data centers in Phoenix
>> during the summer... machines pumping out heat and A/C units needed to
>> cool them down... all that electricity.
>
> I don't see this as a problem. Put solar arrays over every single
> square foot of the building. Benefits:
>
> 1. Gives you electricity to run your air conditioners and servers.
>
> 2. Blocks the roof from the sun, reducing cooling needs.
>
> Arizona has ample sunlight and lacks the hurricanes and tornadoes that
> make solar less attractive in Florida and Oklahoma.

I understand the insurance companies are limiting solar so it may not be
possible to cover an entire roof with solar.

>> I understand there is some movement to solar A/C units, which on it's
>> face seems like a solution...
>
> Yep.

I like the idea.

>> In Chandler there is the Price Road Corridor which is set aside for
>> tech companies.  I'd estimate half the area is vacant.  The tax payers
>> votes to give tax dollars to companies willing to relocate workers
>> here.  The vote took place may 15 years ago so maybe the money is all
>> used up.
>
> Personally I wish cities and states would spend money to encourage
> home-grown small businesses to expend, instead of squandering it on tax
> advantages for big companies that might stick around for a few years
> and then jump ship for a state that offers even more tax advantages.

Me too.  Maybe if some of us start YouTube channels on local tech said
channel might help this happen.

I would like to see all the public schools to be shut down and converted
to business incubators.

>> I'm a freelance PHP developer so I called the City and asked about the
>> little guy.  Was not on their radar.
>
> Yes, and that really sux!

I agree.  YouTube influences could be the solution.

>> With all this chip activity in Phoenix, it makes me wonder about what
>> cottage industries are going to sprout out of all of this.
>
> I'd sure like to operate a food truck outside the factories.

Yumm Yumm!!

>> Especially
>> since there is resistance to returning to the office. AND I have read
>> there is a trend towards using 1099's because they can be rented for
>> just the period they are needed.
>
> I've worked 1099 for more than half my life, and like it. Once
> Obamacare kicked in in 2014, the health-insurance stumbling-block for
> the self-employed mostly vanished.

I've been a 1099 since 2006. It has it's pluses and minuses.... I prefer
freelancing by far over W2

>> I personally would never want to work W2 with a boss and coworkers..
>
> LOL, working self-employed I make half what an employee does, but I
> don't have to jump through the hoops of a boss with half my
> intelligence. If a customer becomes too argumentative, I just kick them
> to the curb.

Yeah - fire those bad customers!!