Phoenix is emerging as the city of the future

techlists at phpcoderusa.com techlists at phpcoderusa.com
Thu Jun 22 16:37:05 MST 2023

On 2023-06-22 16:04, greg zegan via PLUG-discuss wrote:
> may I ...
> https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Cities-Dummies-Computer-Tech/dp/111967994X/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=smart+cities+for+dummies&sr=8-1

The page says "At its core, a smart city is a collection of
technological responses to the growing demands, challenges, and
complexities of improving the quality of life for billions of people now
living in urban centers across the world."

Not sure where the book is going, however this appears to be government
driven.  This gives me the willies. Most all things should be market
driven. I desire freedom.

I realize we have some issues like water.  We are about to experience
some extreme heat.  They say there is a 55% chance the El Nino will
create record highs.  I hate this heat.

However I am of the opinion that the government should not dictate what
I can do, within reason. In the case of water I think their reaction
might be reasonable - maybe.  I also expect Lake Mead to recover before
we experience a catastrophe.

I want Gov to protect my rights and then get out of the way and I will
figure out the rest.

If a smart city means smart homes and smart cars I'm out.  This is a
Linux list and I think we all understand the potential problems with
lots of devices connected to the Internet (IoT) that are going
unmanaged.

I home office and use a slight amount more electricity than my
neighbors. What if I had a smart home and the utility company decided to
shutdown my usage at some trigger.  My neighbor is using more resources
overall given a commute and and office building that requires
electricity... etc.  Who would know?  I drive 200 miles a month on
average so I expect I am actually using less resources than most of my
neighbors... but who would know?

Lets be wise and free.