I read chip maker TSMC is a sweatshop

techlists at phpcoderusa.com techlists at phpcoderusa.com
Sun Jul 16 14:14:08 MST 2023

Thank you der.hans for opening a bag of worms.  Everything today is
political and I do not blame folks for having negative opinions on this
subject.

I agree "People coming from other countries are still people.".  However
we let way too many people in.  No need to import a bunch of Taiwanese
so we can subsidize Taiwan at the expense of the AMERICAN taxpayer.

I'll try to stay on course.

1. Why did the US Government just subsidize the chip industry?
     - I think it was so the folks in congress could grow rich and some
think some of this cash makes it's way back to the those in offices.
2. How did Nancy Pelosi get so rich?  Some think it was the insider
trading.  She entered office 30 years ago and was worth $3 million.
Today she is worth $300 million.  I think that is why she wanted to be
speaker - to direct policy in such a way to make her rich.  Her husband
got caught investing in the chip industry just as congress was voting on
the gift they were going to give to the chip industry.  He immediately
pulled out of those investments.

Lets talk about Bill Gates and the H1B system.  It is my understanding
Gates is the number one user of H1B.  I understand he continues to
complain about a shortage of qualified labor.  What has he done to fix
the problem?  Lobby Congress for more.

Why has Gates failed to create the best tech college in the world and
identify the best of the best in AMERICA and train them?

John F. Kennedy said it best "Ask Not What Your Country Can Do For
You..."

I know we try to stay away from politics on this list and I know I am
probably one of the most outspoken. We are in a bad place as a nation.
If we stay the course we will lose this country soon.  We do not live in
a vacuum.

On 2023-07-16 13:26, der.hans via PLUG-discuss wrote:
> Am 07. Jul, 2023 schwätzte Michael Butash via PLUG-discuss so:
>
> This is highly offensive and completely inappropriate.
>
> People coming from other countries are still people.
>
> PLUG has had members from many countries throughout the group's
> history.
> We currently have members from several countries. No one should have to
> deal
> with discrimination within our group.
>
> I will ignore the inaccuracy of the statements because being wrong is
> inconsequential compared to the offensiveness.
>
> ciao,
>
> der.hans
>
>> I would not be surprised if the US also happened to grant them a load
>> of
>> H1B visas as part of the deal to do just that, and I'm sure people
>> will
>> line up across the island to get on that gravy train, particularly to
>> escape while they still can before China says No.  Like most any one
>> here
>> on visa, they'll drop a kid at first chance, then in like Flynn...
>>
>> I guess someone has to clean the toilets though for local work still,
>> if
>> that isn't roboticized too by now.
>>
>> -mb
>>

>> On Fri, Jul 7, 2023 at 1:07 PM George Toft via PLUG-discuss <
>> plug-discuss at lists.phxlinux.org> wrote:
>>
>>> My younger son worked at the local 3rd Party MVD.  He was talking to
>>> one
>>> of the TSMC Managers who came in to register a vehicle about the
>>> local jobs
>>> TSMC will create.  She assured him that was not the case - most of
>>> the
>>> workers will come from Taiwan.
>>>
>>> This may very well be the case if an American won't work in a
>>> sweatshop,
>>> but a *Taiwanese will for the opportunity to work in America.*
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> George Toft
>>>
>>> On 6/7/2023 1:59 PM, James Mcphee via PLUG-discuss wrote:
>>>
>>> Generally, if I hear it from cable news, there's a good chance it's
>>> just
>>> someone drumming up support for something.  In this case, we'll
>>> probably
>>> hear about some kind of H1B system to make sure the new fabs get all
>>> the
>>> people they need, etc.  Same deal as when I was working at a company
>>> that
>>> got bought by Dell, and they failed to retain most of the new
>>> employees
>>> because they didn't have a structure that worked with professionals.
>>> Suddenly you saw Michael Dell doing an interview on CNBC about the
>>> need to
>>> extend H1B 'cause they aren't getting enough workers.  At the very
>>> least,
>>> there's plenty of incentive to drive down labor costs.  And with the
>>> halts
>>> for new housing going out, there is a LOT of incentive to manipulate
>>> the