I read chip maker TSMC is a sweatshop

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Sun Jul 16 13:26:23 MST 2023

Am 07. Jul, 2023 schwätzte Michael Butash via PLUG-discuss so:

This is highly offensive and completely inappropriate.

People coming from other countries are still people.

PLUG has had members from many countries throughout the group's history.
We currently have members from several countries. No one should have to deal
with discrimination within our group.

I will ignore the inaccuracy of the statements because being wrong is
inconsequential compared to the offensiveness.

ciao,

der.hans

> I would not be surprised if the US also happened to grant them a load of
> H1B visas as part of the deal to do just that, and I'm sure people will
> line up across the island to get on that gravy train, particularly to
> escape while they still can before China says No.  Like most any one here
> on visa, they'll drop a kid at first chance, then in like Flynn...
>
> I guess someone has to clean the toilets though for local work still, if
> that isn't roboticized too by now.
>
> -mb
>

> On Fri, Jul 7, 2023 at 1:07 PM George Toft via PLUG-discuss <
> plug-discuss at lists.phxlinux.org> wrote:
>
>> My younger son worked at the local 3rd Party MVD.  He was talking to one
>> of the TSMC Managers who came in to register a vehicle about the local jobs
>> TSMC will create.  She assured him that was not the case - most of the
>> workers will come from Taiwan.
>>
>> This may very well be the case if an American won't work in a sweatshop,
>> but a *Taiwanese will for the opportunity to work in America.*
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> George Toft
>>
>> On 6/7/2023 1:59 PM, James Mcphee via PLUG-discuss wrote:
>>
>> Generally, if I hear it from cable news, there's a good chance it's just
>> someone drumming up support for something.  In this case, we'll probably
>> hear about some kind of H1B system to make sure the new fabs get all the
>> people they need, etc.  Same deal as when I was working at a company that
>> got bought by Dell, and they failed to retain most of the new employees
>> because they didn't have a structure that worked with professionals.
>> Suddenly you saw Michael Dell doing an interview on CNBC about the need to
>> extend H1B 'cause they aren't getting enough workers.  At the very least,
>> there's plenty of incentive to drive down labor costs.  And with the halts
>> for new housing going out, there is a LOT of incentive to manipulate the
>> market.
>>
>> Am I being paranoid?  I probably need to touch more grass.
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 7, 2023 at 1:15 PM Jim via PLUG-discuss <
>> plug-discuss at lists.phxlinux.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Don't believe everything you read on the internet.  I've read that
>>> Abraham Lincoln blames Donald Trump for giving the gun to John Wilkes
>>> Booth.

>> --
>> James McPhee
>> jmcphe at gmail.com

#  https://www.SpiralArray.com   https://www.PhxLinux.org
#  If determining good culture is left up to busybodies and politicians,
#  we will be left with culture fit only for busybodies and politicians.
#                                                -- Jeff Taylor, Reason