Proxmox Hypervisor, vCPU, RAM... etc

Ryan Petris ryan at petris.net
Mon Oct 10 12:35:39 MST 2022

I personally would refrain from installing X windows on the host. There's nothing that you'll be able to do from xwindows that you can't do from the web interface, and running that will just take away resources that you'd otherwise be able to use for your virtual machines. Additionally, you might find yourself fighting with Proxmox as it expects to be able to control things like networking which your chosen desktop environment might interfere with.

Proxmox under the hood also doesn't use standard libvirt or lxc resources, so if your reason for installing it is to use the virtualization features outside the web interface then you're also going to be stepping on Proxmox's internal processes.

If you want a machine that you can login to to do otherwise random things, just create a VM or container and connect to that. Otherwise treat Proxmox as an appliance, like you would a VMware Hypervisor host, and you'll have a much better time with it.