Configure ktorrent for fastest downloads

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Fri Jun 28 09:04:18 MST 2019

Cox and CenturyLink are both _very_dependent where you live and performance
expected.

I'm old like Stephen in using cox since the 90's, and that was in the old
Maryvale hood, where it worked rather well, but only because I was likely
the only person using internet there in the 90's.  It was absolute crap for
a friend that lived a few miles away in aerial drops, just because the coax
was generally maintained worse there.  Working at Cox in 2002-2003, we had
parts of town, particularly older area of town like old Tempe, or areas
they bought from other local Cable companies that were just terribly
designed RF plants.  Where I've lived the past 20 years is newer parts of
peoria (build '95), so it works fairly well here for both.  We'll never see
fiber though.

You were probably in a "trouble" area, but got fixed at some point.  Buying
business services in a crap area sometimes makes them fix it.  Sometimes
not..

Cox has since replaced most old crap like that, just because they had to
for docsis evolution.  The do still maintain reasonable levels on nodes, so
you don't have to worry too much about oversubscription.  Their biggest
issues have been staying ahead of capacity in general, both across the
valley, and their peering with L3 in LA that all phoenix egresses (unless
using business).

CenturyLink DSL works ok for me since switching.  I've only seen one outage
so far, last friday, and overall the speed is good.  I do notice they are
_really_ oversubscribed in their peering to L3 too.  This tends to cause
things to load slowly at first, but most folks would find this
imperceptible I think.  I know because 20 years as an network engineer tell
me things, and I know how the isp's are run.

It's all what is most important to you I suppose - cash or performance.
Cox is like Apple, CL is like some off-brand Chinese Android, but mostly do
the same things.

-mb