Wow... Unity, Mir, Ubuntu phone/tablet all going bye bye

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Fri Apr 7 18:06:14 MST 2017

I too am a bit annoyed they threw in behind gnome, I've never been able to
use it and not be instantly annoyed since it's come out.  I've tried many
times, I just simply don't get it.  Better than Unity, but not by much, and
since I've stopped deploying ubuntu 6 months ago, much happier in general.

I've been trying to use KDE for the past 3-4 years, but I finally set a
fire to it mentally for it's sheer inability ever, EVER, figure out
multi-monitor capabilities despite hundreds of bug reports on the same
thing.  Kwin compositing is still another persistent issue, combined with
the inability to properly support multimonitor configs became too
frustrating to fsck with anymore.

I'm back to Cinnamon on Arch, which seems to be so far my best experience
with a multi-monitor desktop in years.  Compsiting is a bit wonky, get some
random pattern flashing every now and then that might give someone a
seizure, but only in some parts of the screen, and usually in some
peripheral area of my desktop that doesn't bother me much.  I can however
actually shut off my displays, turn them back on (effectively plug/unplug
the hdmi), and have it restore my desktop almost perfectly, which KDE
simply can/could never do without crashing or breaking itself in ugly ways
since 4.0.

-mb