Wow... Unity, Mir, Ubuntu phone/tablet all going bye bye

Jerry Snitselaar dev at snitselaar.org
Fri Apr 7 15:02:08 MST 2017

Nathan @ 2017-04-07 16:30 GMT:

> On 2017-04-06 13:17, Jerry Snitselaar wrote:
>
>> Is there a link to this? Seeing as the gnome project seems to get along
>> with every other distro I'm not sure the problem was on their end.
>>

> I don't have a link nor the time to find one. I google'd it and didn't
> find anything. I do find it funny you say the gnome project seems to get
> along with every other distro. Every time there is an announcement about
> a new version of Gnome there are always so many people complaining that
> the developers are chasing their own ideas and not listening to the
> users.
>
> I realize some changes were made, and with plugins Gnome can be made to
> act in a sane manner the way users actually want, but I think this only
> proves what the people are saying. If the Gnome developers were
> listening to their userbase we wouldn't have to use plugins to make the
> desktop behave the way we want, it would actually behave the way we
> want...

Users complaining about design choices is not the same as a distribution
deciding to not work with a project. Users have complained about Gnome 3,
KDE Plasma, and Unity over the past decade and with good reason. Personally I
don't care for any of them and use a tiling window manager.

So my question remains what other distributions have had this friction
(from whichever side) with the Gnome project that Canonical did?
Gnome isn't the only project Canonical has had a difficult relationship
with.