Wow... Unity, Mir, Ubuntu phone/tablet all going bye bye

Stephen Partington cryptworks at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 14:05:23 MST 2017

The Ubuntu mobile UI was a nice platform to work with in a tablet or phone
interface, but the application ecosystem was horrifying to deal with. I am
sorry a slapped together wrapper for someone's website is not an app. It is
a bastardized browser experience that is worse than just using a browser.
And combine that with no core applications aside from the ones developed by
the OS team. Its death is not surprising, but it did make me sad.

Convergence so far has never been approached well. the closest I saw was
The Ubuntu Mobile experience, but It relied on USB video and experience too
much to ever become what it could have been. I think just creating a secure
data exchange between desktop and laptop so that your mobile devices
becomes a "Userspace" mirror would be far more valuable. then build
applications that are specific to each physical platform that can then
interact with that communal data would be a success. so far nobody has
really embraced that.

On Wed, Apr 5, 2017 at 1:40 PM, Matthew Crews <mattcrews at mattcrews.com>
wrote:

> Good riddance to Unity. That was essentially an unnecessary fork of Gnome
> with polarizing opinions (on top of the polarizing opinions of Gnome). I
> think shifting back to Gnome 3 is the right decision in the long run
> (especially since Debian uses Gnome 3). That said there are features of
> Unity I like, but not many.
>
> Where do you see that Mir is going away? Not seeing it in the article.
> That said, I again agree that Mir is unnecessary when we have Wayland.
>
> Ubuntu phone was, in my opinion, as DOA as Firefox OS and Tizen, and
> Windows Phone.
>
> Tablets...i have very strong opinions about tablets that you can poke me
> about later.
>
> Microsoft can't even get convergence right with Windows 10, and they have
> the money to do it, but then again this is Microsoft we are talking about.
> Android/Chrome OS are going to be closest we get (and it appears to largely
> be successful in Samsung's Galaxy S8, app support notwithstanding).
>

> On Wed, Apr 5, 2017 at 1:28 PM Brian Cluff <brian at snaptek.com> wrote:
>
>> https://insights.ubuntu.com/2017/04/05/growing-ubuntu-for-
>> cloud-and-iot-rather-than-phone-and-convergence/
>>
>> It's sad to see so much development get scrapped and I really wanted to
>> see a sucsessful ubuntu phone, but I can't help but to think that this
>> will ultimately be a good thing.
>>
>> Brian Cluff

Stephen