Wow... Unity, Mir, Ubuntu phone/tablet all going bye bye

Matthew Crews mattcrews at mattcrews.com
Wed Apr 5 14:22:48 MST 2017

>Convergence so far has never been approached well. the closest I saw was
The Ubuntu Mobile experience, but It relied on
>USB video and experience too much to ever become what it could have been.
I think just creating a secure data exchange
>between desktop and laptop so that your mobile devices becomes a
"Userspace" mirror would be far more valuable. then
>build applications that are specific to each physical platform that can
then interact with that communal data would be a
>success. so far nobody has really embraced that.

Honestly what I want to see is a universal dock for my phone or tablet that
I can use regardless of device. Plug my device in via the USB input, and
the dock acts as both a video output and a USB/Bluetooth hub for keyboard
and mouse input.

Thats essentially what the DeX Station, the upcoming dock for the Galaxy
S8, will do. I want that, without having to buy a new phone.
http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/mobile-accessories/phones/dex-station---black-ee-mg950tbegus/

> ​Microsoft is actually building their Os and applications stack in such a
way that Application developers no long
>have to develop for the hardware platform, simply to .NET core. that will
then do all the work to move the
>application between x86 or ARM. they have quite a few ARM devices.

They have been trying to do this for years since the Windows 8 days (or
earlier). Hopefully it works this time. Too bad its not a feasible approach
for Linux and Android though.