Phoenix Linux Project

trent shipley trent.shipley at gmail.com
Tue May 17 23:51:01 MST 2016

https://tools.usps.com/go/POLocatorAction.action

Customer's problem.
* All the post offices in the Phoenix area have a backlog of weeks for
passport applications in the Summer.
* All appointments are made by telephone. A web interface is not available.
* The various post offices do not have an integrated appointment backend.
* Customer data is subject to the 1974 Privacy Act.

Suggestion.
*Build an enterprise grade, web front end, business logic, and data bases
(GIS, acceptance facility [post office], customer, and calendar) to support
passport appointment in Maricopa and Pinal counties.
*Also may need phone room and telephone appointment interfaces.

Pros.
*Enterprise size problem with room for expansion (eg. California) will
chalenge contributors at all levels.
*Affordable secure appointment systems are widely needed, and should be
commodity grade software. (FOSS appointment software exists for medical
practices and may be a reasonable starting point.)
*Solves passport consumer customer service problem.
*Matches consumer demand to appointment availability in geographic area.
*Government qualifies as a charity.

Cons.
*Largely transactional, so a poor fit for big data project (Hadoop).
*Not a novel project. (There is other FOSS appointment software).
*The government is not a particularly charitable charity.
*Neither the US Postal Service nor the US Department of State have actually
agreed to work on the project.
*To actually see real customer data (say alpha phase), the participant
would need a security clearance, as would the development ecology.

Trent.