Phoenix Linux Project

trent shipley trent.shipley at gmail.com
Tue May 17 21:51:20 MST 2016

I'd like to hear some 250 word pitches for open source projects that the
Maricopa-Pinal counties Linux developer community could work on.  Maybe the
Phoenix Linux Project would merit 501c3 status.

Desirables:

Customer:

*Primary (initial) customer: non-political, non-religious charity or
government agency.
*Wide enough in application that many customers can find a use for the
product.

Wide range of talent and experience:

*Associate and Bachelor's and entry level developers do most of the coding
to interfaces and with mentoring.  Also, documented experience for would be
UX designers and technical writers at this level.

*Master's, junior, and intermediate level programmers provide architecture,
mentoring, and difficult programming.

*Senior volunteers provide overall architecture, general direction, etc.

*Juniors should have contribution documented so that it contributes to the
juniors' marketability.

Designs should be applicable to jobs in industry:

*Secure
*Scale from desktop to enterprise/intranet to internet
*Modular
*Use current design standards (for example, REST)
*Microservices

Technologies:

*Technologies should be focused on what is currently in demand by in demand
by industry (fostering marketable skills.)
*Marketable programming language (I'm partial to Java).
*If at all possible use big data tool, notably Hadoop.
*Internet programming tools (Spring)
*git
*et cetera