Ubuntu, KDE interface

Brian Cluff brian at snaptek.com
Sat Jun 18 12:04:36 MST 2016

On 06/18/2016 11:48 AM, koder wrote:
> What problems will I encounter installing KDE onto an existing Ubuntu
> load?

While technically possible to have both unity and KDE on the same
machine, in practice the unity stuff tends to pollute the KDE experience
do you get a significantly less than optimal experience.

> Ubuntu has also mandated that I install an extra external fan as its
> demands on the system as it seems that it heats the whole system up to
> the point where it locks and becomes totally unresponsive.

Unity has turned into one of if not the most heavy desktop experiences
out there and really demands a lot of your system, so I don't doubt it a
bit that you may have to have extra cooling on some machines.

> Not ready for Prime Time, in spite of the prostelyzations of the AZ
> Loco group.

I think it really depends on the machine you're on.  Some can handle
unity, some can't and never will.  I personally have to second an
install of Kubuntu, KDE is much much better at adapting to different
hardware, so you can run it on older machines without access to 3D
accelerated video and it will automatically disable those features in
order to give you a good smooth, full featured, experience.  I've
personally been able to put a modern Kubuntu desktop on an ancient
netbook and it runs nice and smooth.

Brian Cluff