compile python

Brian Cluff brian at snaptek.com
Mon Apr 11 07:36:09 MST 2016

You could just add that repository but...
The add-apt-repository and PPAs are an Ubuntu thing, and while Ubuntu is
based off of Debian there are quite a few things that get changed along
the way, so you can't just use package repositories from one on the
other whenever you want, especially with things like python that if you
break it can really mess up stuff in your system.  The nasty part is
that it might seem to work fine right away, but you've set yourself up
for a problem that comes later on because the guy making the PPA uses
some strange version scheme that will keep any other version from
can keep everything else from being able to upgrade.

Since what you are looking for is already packages standard for the
system and you just need a newer version; you're probably better off
switching to Raspbian's equivalent of testing or unstable, upgrading
your python packages to the version you need and then switching back to
stable so you don't accidentally upgrade your whole system.

Brian Cluff