Live streaming server

Joseph Sinclair plug-discussion at stcaz.net
Tue Sep 8 16:00:49 MST 2015

Assumptions:
  1) you need audio and video (as RTSP is just a control protocol, either or both could be the case)
  2) You do not need a proprietary input codec (RTSP does not set codec, that's a stream detail)
  3) Any reasonably common container/codec combination will work for your clients
  4) Input source is RTSP with a reasonably "open" container/codec choice
  5) Output is streamed via RTSP, possibly with transcoding, and completely under your control
  6) Output streams do not need to change sources on the fly
  7) Each source may be a different output stream
  8) You have access to a reasonably capable dedicated server (with a decent GPU if transcoding is needed) to run the rebroadcast stream service
  9) You do not have policy restrictions that mandate virtual servers, proprietary software, Windows O/S or anything similar
  10) Security and privacy are important considerations
  11) All of your clients are purely internal to your organization and connected to your internal network (possibly via VPN).

Given those assumptions:
  1) VLC can do this (although not terribly well), simply open a "network stream" source for the input, and choose "stream" from the expansion dropdown next to play in the open source dialog and follow the wizard.
  2) ffserver (https://www.ffmpeg.org/ffserver-all.html) is closer to what you're asking for, although it's horribly complex to setup, and each stream usually ends up being a separate instance (although this isn't required, it's easier due to lack of any way to reconfigure without restarting).
  3) Feng (https://github.com/lscube/feng) may work for what you want, but it hasn't been updated in years.
  4) Nimble Server (https://wmspanel.com/nimble) is *proprietary* "freeware" that's almost exactly what you want, but it's closed-source nature leaves some questions around security and privacy that you may need to consider carefully.