systemd [NOT?] (was Re: Void Linux tips)

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Thu Oct 22 13:39:21 MST 2015

On Thu, 22 Oct 2015 13:00:38 -0700
"Gilbert T. Gutierrez, Jr." <mailing-lists at phxinternet.com> wrote:

> Why are users opposed to systemd? I personally like it.

Because one size doesn't fit all. For the same reason we don't all
drive sports cars. Or SUVs. Or sedans. Some use cases benefit from
systemd. Some use cases benefit from non-systemd init systems.

> I am a CentOS user and there was a big jump for me when moving from
> 6.x to 7.x with only one of those components being systemd. It was
> not systemd that made the transition difficult, but app changes (NTP,
> FIREWALL, etc) which were the problem. I not only had to learn
> systemd so I could start the apps, but had to learn how to program
> Firewalld and their new ntp program Chrony. I really believe that
> systemd is progress and makes things simpler to automate startup.

Progress from what? If it's progress from sysvinit with all its huge
init scripts, that's a false choice: There are several great init
systems out there that are better in most respects, including "init
scripts", than sysvinit. Void Linux has one of those superior init
systems, called runit.

SteveT

Steve Litt
October 2015 featured book: Thriving in Tough Times
http://www.troubleshooters.com/thrive