systemd [NOT?] (was Re: Void Linux tips)

Brian Cluff brian at snaptek.com
Thu Oct 22 13:45:09 MST 2015

I agree.  Systemd is very nice and adds some really nice features.

The people that are against it seem to be a very vocal minority as well
as people that are just running with whatever information they have read
without doing any actual research into if there was any validity to the
complaints, or even running it so see if it did bring about the
apocalypse as was being reported.  In a nutshell, very little of what
the minority has been complaining about is true and what is true is
being stretched waaaaaay out of proportion, and just isn't a real problem.

The bottom line is that it works, it works well, and when you convert
over to it you don't even notice a change other than your machine might
boot faster.  It will even use all your custom scripts in init.d so you
won't have to rewrite all those.

There were a couple of snags that I hit when I upgraded my Kubuntu
machine over to version 15.04 which officially brought in systemd for
the first time by default.  None of it was the fault of systemd itself
and was misconfiguration in the associated packages.  In fact I can only
think of just one snag that I hit while 15.04 was still in beta; the
SDDM package (KDE's display manager) didn't set itself to load on boot,
so you were left with a desktop without a graphical environment.  A
simple "systemctl enable sddm" fixed the machine right up and fixes were
quickly added to the package so very few people encountered the problem.

My suggestions to the people that are avoiding it woudl be to give it a
try and see for yourself what it does for you before you go out of your
way and spend a lot of effort to avoid something that does seem to be
becoming the standard.  It's certainly not making it's way into
everything because it sucks at what it does.

Linux needs more distros to agree on things, not distros that do things
different.

Brian Cluff