What is your system advice?

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Sun Oct 4 16:01:49 MST 2015

On Sun, 04 Oct 2015 14:17:58 -0700
Keith Smith <techlists at phpcoderusa.com> wrote:

> The best time to buy is coming up next month.  If you can wait, the
> week of Thanksgiving should be a good time to buy and of course there
> is Black Friday and all the Christmas sales.  I only buy during back
> to school and Thanksgiving forward to Christmas.
>
> You can also subscribe to the weekly sales flyer from Staples and
> Office Max / Office Depot.

Here's the next fly in the ointment. Windows 10 certification requires
Secure Boot, but for the first time does *not* require an off-switch
for that secure-boot. So a new computer might be unusable in Linux,
except for the few big, rich distros who buy certificates from
Microsoft to certify their software as "secure". The Linux Foundation
supposedly has some distro-agnostic shim, but that doesn't completely
assuage my fears.

At this point in Linux history, if I buy new, I value Costco's
no-questions-asked return policy.

SteveT