What is your system advice?

Stephen Partington cryptworks at gmail.com
Sun Oct 4 16:27:52 MST 2015

you can have a fully secure boot enabled system with full bitlocker support
as long as you leave the windows boot-loader intact so that it has a fully
protected chain of trust. you can even do this as part of a partition on
the same disk drive as windows. It just takes some planning and working.
and not putting lilo or grub 1/2 on the MBR of the disk. (easy BCD is what
i used to make this happen.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/9528.how-to-multiboot-with-bitlocker-tpm-and-a-non-windows-os.aspx
if you want to read how it plays out but i have done this before and it was
rather fucntional and with a touch of reading and planning straightforward
to put in place.

and on a previous comment an example of one of the deals I got for my wife,
http://amzn.com/B00XYPX1NG

On Sun, Oct 4, 2015 at 4:01 PM, Steve Litt <slitt at troubleshooters.com>
wrote:

> On Sun, 04 Oct 2015 14:17:58 -0700
> Keith Smith <techlists at phpcoderusa.com> wrote:
>
> > The best time to buy is coming up next month.  If you can wait, the
> > week of Thanksgiving should be a good time to buy and of course there
> > is Black Friday and all the Christmas sales.  I only buy during back
> > to school and Thanksgiving forward to Christmas.
> >
> > You can also subscribe to the weekly sales flyer from Staples and
> > Office Max / Office Depot.
>
> Here's the next fly in the ointment. Windows 10 certification requires
> Secure Boot, but for the first time does *not* require an off-switch
> for that secure-boot. So a new computer might be unusable in Linux,
> except for the few big, rich distros who buy certificates from
> Microsoft to certify their software as "secure". The Linux Foundation
> supposedly has some distro-agnostic shim, but that doesn't completely
> assuage my fears.
>
> At this point in Linux history, if I buy new, I value Costco's
> no-questions-asked return policy.
>
> SteveT

Stephen