OT: Data Recovery

Eric Cope eric.cope at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 15:46:53 MST 2015

not at all.
The failure ended up being two-tiered. The first problem was a firmware
failure. The fee to recover the first pass was $395. After the first pass,
they recovered my critical data successfully, however it was discovered
there were 2 heads that were failing. There was data that couldn't be
recovered without replacing the heads. They offered to take it into their
clean room for $750, replace the heads, and recover the rest of the data. I
didn't need it (it was my brother's data and he was too cheap to pay for
recovery), so I opted not to continue the recovery process.

FYI - if you have data on Seagates, get it off:
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-reliability-update-september-2014/

Eric