OT: Data Recovery

Keith Smith techlists at phpcoderusa.com
Tue Jun 2 16:27:36 MST 2015

Sorry for your lose!

Interestingly enough the article says "The surprising (and bad) news is
that Seagate 3.0TB drives are failing a lot more, with their failure
rate jumping from 9% to 15%. The Western Digital 3TB drives have also
failed more, with their rate going up from 4% to 7%."

According to the article all others are performing within expected
failure range... or would that be acceptable range for them?

I buy Dell and I think they come with Seagate.  I hope I never lose a
drive.  I lost one at work about 18 years ago.  My manager lost a drive
a month earlier.  I've had a very uneventful life when it comes to
computer failures and i hope it stays that way.

On 2015-06-02 15:46, Eric Cope wrote:
> not at all.
> The failure ended up being two-tiered. The first problem was a
> firmware failure. The fee to recover the first pass was $395. After
> the first pass, they recovered my critical data successfully, however
> it was discovered there were 2 heads that were failing. There was data
> that couldn't be recovered without replacing the heads. They offered
> to take it into their clean room for $750, replace the heads, and
> recover the rest of the data. I didn't need it (it was my brother's
> data and he was too cheap to pay for recovery), so I opted not to
> continue the recovery process.
>
> FYI - if you have data on Seagates, get it
> off: https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-reliability-update-september-2014/
> [3]
>
> Eric
>
> On Tue, Jun 2, 2015 at 2:16 PM, Michael Butash <michael at butash.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Ouch, if you don't mind my asking, what did it end up costing
>> total?  Luckily never needed to myself, but people have asked and I
>> never have an answer.
>>
>> On or off-list is fine.  :)
>>
>> -mb
>>
>> On 06/02/2015 11:22 AM, Eric Cope wrote:
>>
>>> Hi everyone,
>>> I recently had a Seagate 3TB drive fail on me. The local company,
>>> Desert Data Recovery, was able to recover all of my critical data.
>>> They were very responsive and really inexpensive. They did a free
>>> evaluation and offered a "No Data, No Fee" policy. I'd highly
>>> recommend them.
>>>
>>> http://www.desertdatarecovery.com/ [2]
>>>
>>> Just thought I would share. Backups are cheaper, but if you need
>>> recovery services, check them out.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Eric

> Links: