what gives a clear scan with Linux?

Brian Cluff brian at snaptek.com
Tue Dec 22 11:35:05 MST 2015

I've always like xsane, btw SANE (Scanner Access Now Easy) is the
drivers that pretty much everything in Linux uses for it's backend, most
frontend programs just show less options in order to make scanning easy
and can hide increasing the resolution of the image.

XSANE exposes the maximum amount of options, but that also makes it more
difficult to use.  It does have some really nice options that aren't
found in many other programs like being able to set zones on your
scanner so that you can scan multiple images or pages at once and xsane
will automatically chop them up into seperate images for you.  That
makes bulk scanning much faster.

One other thing you might want to try if you are bulk scanning books is
to just use a digital camera.  A digital camera can take pictures of the
pages as fast as you can turn the page and most cameras these days have
enough DPI that that you will have no problem reading them later.

To increase the quality of the photo, find a piece of glass.  I ended up
temporarily robbing one from a picture frame.  Then use the glass to
press the pages flat for the camera.  You'll also want a light or 2 to
get good results.  Make sure that you light the book from the sides and
not try to get it straight on or you'll get a ton of glare.

Once you are done, there are some utilities that can increase the
quality of your scanned or photographed images.  Unpaper is one that
comes to mind.  It can help make the image look even more flat,
especially towards the spine of the book.

Brian Cluff