what gives a clear scan with Linux?

Michael Havens bmike1 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 11:10:39 MST 2015

I've been using gscan2pdf for a long time. I have been considering the poor
resolution as the breaks of the game. I recently resolved to try to fix it
because I was scanning my computer manuals in. I fiddled with some stuff
but no improvement. I then thought it might be gscan2pdf so I started
another scanner. I picked SANE and while the scan was much slower the
resolution was not much better (I 'm sure the program isn't called SANE but
whenever I try to open a scanner program now I am told "Sorry. No devices
found." The second program I used is found by clicking "Acquireimages"). So
I thought it was a scanner issue or a computer issue; so I shut Linux down
and started Windows. Well, with the Windows7 included scanner program the
scan was slower than with gscan2pdf (default settings) but not slower than
with SANE and the image was clear. In fact I was able to zoom in 200% and
while it was not crystal clear it was very much legible while a Linux zoom
of 100% produced a practically illegible document.

--