what gives a clear scan with Linux?

Michael Havens bmike1 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 12:04:45 MST 2015

thank you for the advice Brian.
SANE is not finding my scanner now. It worked fine before I scanned
something with windows (previously mentioned). My web search revealed that
in troubleshooting this I need to enter two commands, sudo
sane-find-scanner & sudo scanimage -L:

sudo sane-find-scanner
[sudo] password for bmike1:

  # sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the
  # result is different from what you expected, first make sure your
  # scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer.

  # No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure
that
  # you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.

  # No USB scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure
that
  # you have loaded a kernel driver for your USB host controller and have
setup
  # the USB system correctly. See man sane-usb for details.

  # Not checking for parallel port scanners.

  # Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports
  # can't be detected by this program.
and
 sudo scanimage -L
device `hpaio:/usb/Photosmart_C7200_series?serial=MY7A2G42SW04YG' is a
Hewlett-Packard Photosmart_C7200_series all-in-one

While 'xsane -L' recognizes the device SANE seems not too. I would follow
further advice from the support thread where I got these commands but my
computer sees it but won't use it plus my scanner was working!