government subsidising tech companies

Keith Smith techlists at phpcoderusa.com
Tue Dec 1 11:38:34 MST 2015

Hi,

I'm doing research on government subsidising tech companies to entice
them to move into a community.  In this case I'm wondering about the
Chandler Price Road Corridor.  I know someone on the list must work in
that area.

I discovered the Chandler Price Road Corridor existed a couple months
ago.  Normally I would not be a fan of government spending millions a
year for multiple years to build a business environment.  In this case I
am intrigued and am wondering if this is a case where local government
can create a sustainable high tech business environment.

I am wondering what ingredients will cause this environment to survive
after the initial contract period.

Some of my thoughts are housing, shopping, entertainment, and a
workforce that can be brought together to do things like build chips at
Intel.

Does ASU aid this?  What about skills learned at the Maricopa Community
College network of colleges?

At present the City of Chandler is only working with large companies
like eBay, Wells Fargo... etc.  The City Council is looking at this and
may modify this requirement so smaller companies can build and occupy
within this corridor.

One thing I have not read about is venture capital.  Given the cost of
doing business in Silicon Valley, I would think a tech rich environment
might pull some from Silicon Valley.

What about Chandler Gang Plank?  Could this come into play?

Please help me discover what I should be looking at and how to look at
it.

Your thoughts are much appreciated.

Keith

--