government subsidising tech companies

Keith Smith techlists at phpcoderusa.com
Tue Dec 1 12:54:05 MST 2015

The North end of the Price Corridor is close to ASU.  How does ASU come
into play?

Chandler has libraries.  Why is this important?

The Price Road Corridor runs along the 101 and extends South past the
South 202.  Lots of infrastructure.  I do not know the cost of office
space, however it is probably not cheap and currently oriented towards
the very large company.  I understand the Council is looking at how to
accommodate smaller companies.

What about an environment that fosters startups? What would be required?

Is public transportation all that necessary? If so why?

Housing is affordable and the neighbourhoods are nice.

On 2015-12-01 12:40, Joshua Zeidner wrote:
> close by a lot of facilities, restaurants and such that tech people
> like and/or demand, public transport, library, university, and loads
> of office space. I have a nice office here for very cheap.
>
> On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 12:26 PM, Keith Smith
> <techlists at phpcoderusa.com> wrote:
>
>> Why downtown? And why only downtown?
>>
>> On 2015-12-01 12:07, Joshua Zeidner wrote:
>>
>> there's been a long history of this in phoenix. they've tried to
>> grow
>> a 'tech scene' here but it never seems to stick to the wall. I know
>> bit about the various groups that attempted to form(Gangplank,
>> INGITE,
>> Refresh, etc.) and why they failed. There was also a tech incubator
>> about 10 years ago or so that was a huge failure. Also google tried
>> build a presence and failed.
>>
>> the only area i can see this happening for real is downtown.
>>
>> On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 11:38 AM, Keith Smith
>> <techlists at phpcoderusa.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm doing research on government subsidising tech companies to
>> entice them to move into a community. In this case I'm wondering
>> about the Chandler Price Road Corridor. I know someone on the list
>> must work in that area.
>>
>> I discovered the Chandler Price Road Corridor existed a couple
>> months ago. Normally I would not be a fan of government spending
>> millions a year for multiple years to build a business environment.
>> In this case I am intrigued and am wondering if this is a case
>> where
>> local government can create a sustainable high tech business
>> environment.
>>
>> I am wondering what ingredients will cause this environment to
>> survive after the initial contract period.
>>
>> Some of my thoughts are housing, shopping, entertainment, and a
>> workforce that can be brought together to do things like build
>> chips
>> at Intel.
>>
>> Does ASU aid this? What about skills learned at the Maricopa
>> Community College network of colleges?
>>
>> At present the City of Chandler is only working with large
>> companies like eBay, Wells Fargo... etc. The City Council is
>> looking at this and may modify this requirement so smaller
>> companies
>> can build and occupy within this corridor.
>>
>> One thing I have not read about is venture capital. Given the cost
>> of doing business in Silicon Valley, I would think a tech rich
>> environment might pull some from Silicon Valley.
>>
>> What about Chandler Gang Plank? Could this come into play?
>>
>> Please help me discover what I should be looking at and how to look
>> at it.
>>
>> Your thoughts are much appreciated.
>>
>> Keith
>>
>> --