How to get captioning (using webvtt .vtt files) to work in firefox?

Phil Waclawski phil.waclawski at mesacc.edu
Tue Dec 1 02:28:47 MST 2015

I have been developing some simple tutorials for my students, and I want to
subtitle or caption the files. While my .vtt file works just fine in
chrome, it does not in firefox. Yet I see working examples where the .vtt
file is structured exactly like mine.

I have gone through web site after website, tried several javascript
polyfill programs, but nothing works right.

Now, as of Firefox 31, the support for .vtt files in <track> has been
turned on...so I'm at a loss.  If anyone knows how to do this properly,
please let me know.

Note:  The following video was just thrown together quickly for a test. I
pretty well free wheeled what I said, and I already know a few things I
want to change.

https://www.lampbusters.com/coperni/htmlexamples/video.html

Phil Waclawski