Phone apps for setting up personal WiFi hotspots with lots of DHCP addresses?

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Wed Sep 24 05:53:46 MST 2014

Your best bet is probably to buy a normal home router and get yourself a
generic usb cell data stick, most anything that will run dd-wrt will
support using them as the "wan".  Most netgear, asus, buffalo, etc
routers come stock with dd-wrt, or some bastard oem version thereof.
Just google the model you're thinking, and make sure they're supported
by open-wrt or tomato case the oem version sucks.

You don't even need a new/modern one unless you want 802.11AC (so your
mac friends with new powerbooks don't turn their nose at you), so hit
Craigslist/ebay too.

Problem with a phone is they usually won't have enough power and antenna
to deal with that many clients, whereas a router, especially one that
has sma connectors for external antennas, will.  They also do nifty
things like supporting 5ghz clients vs. just 2.4ghz crappiness,
channel-bonding, channel-steering, etc.

Attaching 50 clients on even an enterprise ap is a lot for one
channel...  Your phone will go insane, and interference from that many
speakers will make it useless.

-mb