Phone apps for setting up personal WiFi hotspots with lots of DHCP addresses?

Stephen Partington cryptworks at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 07:11:06 MST 2014

So i did some research on this idea.

Very slanted, but has some interesting points
http://blog.dlink.com/why-using-a-wi-fi-portable-router-is-better-than-tethering/

and they suggest this device, which i think is pretty spiffy for a portable
device to do this very thing.
http://us.dlink.com/products/connect/wi-fi-ac750-portable-router-and-charger-3/

And then you can use any DDWRT compatible router in this manner
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Bridge#Instructions

On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 5:53 AM, Michael Butash <michael at butash.net> wrote:

> Your best bet is probably to buy a normal home router and get yourself a
> generic usb cell data stick, most anything that will run dd-wrt will
> support using them as the "wan".  Most netgear, asus, buffalo, etc routers
> come stock with dd-wrt, or some bastard oem version thereof.  Just google
> the model you're thinking, and make sure they're supported by open-wrt or
> tomato case the oem version sucks.
>
> You don't even need a new/modern one unless you want 802.11AC (so your mac
> friends with new powerbooks don't turn their nose at you), so hit
> Craigslist/ebay too.
>
> Problem with a phone is they usually won't have enough power and antenna
> to deal with that many clients, whereas a router, especially one that has
> sma connectors for external antennas, will.  They also do nifty things like
> supporting 5ghz clients vs. just 2.4ghz crappiness, channel-bonding,
> channel-steering, etc.
>
> Attaching 50 clients on even an enterprise ap is a lot for one channel...
> Your phone will go insane, and interference from that many speakers will
> make it useless.
>
> -mb
>

> On 09/23/2014 08:54 PM, David Schwartz wrote:
>
>> Simple question: I'm looking to see if anybody knows of any mobile apps
>> that run in either iOS or Android that support a "mobile hotspot" (or
>> "personal hotspot") and allow more than 5 DHCP connections? Preferably up
>> to 255, although 50 is about as many as I'd need.
>>
>> What I'm looking for is the ability to configure a mobile device to
>> support a micro-LAN where people in a meeting room can communicate through
>> a single sub-net without having to rely on the facility's WiFI router
>> (because they frequently block most ports) or an external router (if a
>> phone or tablet works, why require another device?).
>>
>> I don't even need to get to the internet. It's just a way for mobile
>> devices to communicate with a single "host" device where everybody is
>> sitting at the same meeting.
>>
>> Thanks!
>> -David

Stephen