Mint boot problems

Matt Graham mhgraham at crow202.org
Tue Dec 30 09:22:09 MST 2014

On 2014-12-29 21:16, Todd Millecam wrote:
> Skimmed through the other responses [...]
> Your GPU is crashing and your graphics card is causing a kernel panic,

This is *possible*, but there's nothing in the logs that koder posted
that supports it.  If the machine's kernel-panicked, then it'll probably
be completely unresponsive (no way to ssh in) though it might respond to
pings.

> It's an MSI card, and I use an ATI 7970 myself with minimal problems,
> but you really need to stick with the 13.12 driver series on linux for
> most ATI cards right now.

If don't need your 3D stuff to run as fast as possible, don't bother
with the non-Open 3D graphics modules.  Just install radeon or nouveau,
since those don't tend to crash horribly every 5 minutes.

> If it's an Nvidia card, just reinstall the proprietary drivers

IME, the binary-only modules from nvidia caused many more problems than
the nouveau modules.  Note that YMMV on this.

> On Mon, Dec 29, 2014 at 8:21 PM, Michael Butash <michael at butash.net>
> wrote:
>> I really wanted mint, especiall debian edition to work out as
>> I almost loathe ubuntu these days, but sadly it's still more
>> wrecked than ubuntu for real usage, at least until you replace unity.

Is there _anyone_ who likes Unity?

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity