Mint boot problems

Todd Millecam tyggna at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 21:16:57 MST 2014

Skimmed through the other responses after reading your logs, so forgive me
for repeating, just got back from AZ (miss it already).  Your GPU is
crashing and your graphics card is causing a kernel panic, this is actually
a fairly common thing for GPUs to do (M$ reports that gpu drivers cause
approximately 67% of all blue-screens which is a windows kernel-panic).
It's an MSI card, and I use an ATI 7970 myself with minimal problems, but
you really need to stick with the 13.12 driver series on linux for most ATI
cards right now.  Really, anything ATI put out while they were developing
mantle for Linux was complete crap so focus on the driver release from
December 2012 for now, and wait patiently for the new Omega drivers to be
put up to snuff in the next four or five months.
If it's an Nvidia card, just reinstall the proprietary drivers, but I'd go
with the binary proprietary drivers from your repo first, and if that's
what you've been using then try downloading the driver from nvidia and
trying that.  If that fails, the open source nouveau driver is really
pretty good for day-to-day use and can sometimes handle heavy 3D
applications.

On Mon, Dec 29, 2014 at 8:21 PM, Michael Butash <michael at butash.net> wrote:

> Not sure if mint is exactly the same, but using "apt-get install
> kubuntu-desktop" or kde-base metapackages might be path of least resistance.
>
> I really wanted mint, especiall debian edition to work out as I almost
> loathe ubuntu these days, but sadly it's still more wrecked than ubuntu for
> real usage, at least until you replace unity.
>
> -mb
>

> On 12/29/2014 07:12 PM, koder wrote:
>
>> I will have to set something up to log onto it, but I think I can do it.
>>
>> Lacking that KDE, as suggested, may be the second best option.
>>
>> I will let you know, it will probably take a couple of days.
>>
>> Harold
>>

>> On 12/29/2014 10:04 AM, Matt Graham wrote:
>>
>>> On 2014-12-28 20:57, koder wrote:
>>> [problems with Mint not always recognizing that there's a USB keyboard
>>> and mouse plugged in]

>>> [much snippage]
>>>
>>> There's nothing in those logs that makes success/failure obvious to me
>>> though.  I took both dmesg logs and did a "grep -2 -i usb" on them.  The
>>> USB subsystem messages were almost identical. Both logs showed that the
>>> keyboard was on 3-1 and the mouse was on 3-2, and that they were both
>>> claimed by the usbhid module.
>>>
>>> Are these devices plugged in to the machine directly, or are they
>>> connected to a hub?  I've had flaky hubs cause this sort of intermittent
>>> problem.  Or is this an X11 problem?  Can you ssh into this machine from
>>> another box when it's showing the problem, and see if the mouse is visible
>>> with "lsusb" and have a look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log for keyboard/mouse
>>> errors?

Todd Millecam