Mint boot problems

Todd Millecam tyggna at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 10:13:44 MST 2014

Ah, yeah, your right, sorry--12 hour car drive, saw something that looked
familiar and jumped to a conclusion.

Looking over the difference between those two boot logs here are some
things that could be causing it:

1) scsi0 gets initialized on the failed boot, and sda4 is never mounted
with the proper mount options (it attempts to mount with no options, and
then it looks like on your successful boot it did a unexpected shutdown
recovery of sda4 and it worked).   I don't know what you keep on this
partition, but if it contains shared libs, then that would definitely cause
a hang.  scsi0 might be a system-reserved recovery or efi shell for windows
8 fast boot that might be interfering with your boot process.  That would
be a BIOS setting of disabling fast-boot to go about troubleshooting.

2) Dell Systems Manager Bus Driver is loaded on the successful boot, it
doesn't seem to be on the failed boot, so could be hanging.  This handles
power management routines on Dell computers, and can interrupt the boot
process.

As a side note, cups and samba are failing to initialize on boot so you
might want to disable those.

bumblebeed doesn't even attempt to initialize (this is a daemon that takes
all your graphics card frame buffers, puts them in a single buffer and
outputs it to one monitor, so it lets you have multiple GPUs on one box) on
the failed boot.  It fails on the successful boot, but it's never even
called on the failed so this is probably not the issue--if you disable it
you'll likely see better boot times.

I don't know exactly what could cause this, but I'd reseat all the sata
cables inside my computer and disable fast boot to start troubleshooting
the problem.

On Tue, Dec 30, 2014 at 9:22 AM, Matt Graham <mhgraham at crow202.org> wrote:

> On 2014-12-29 21:16, Todd Millecam wrote:
>
>> Skimmed through the other responses [...]
>> Your GPU is crashing and your graphics card is causing a kernel panic,
>>

> This is *possible*, but there's nothing in the logs that koder posted that
> supports it.  If the machine's kernel-panicked, then it'll probably be
> completely unresponsive (no way to ssh in) though it might respond to pings.
>
>  It's an MSI card, and I use an ATI 7970 myself with minimal problems,
>> but you really need to stick with the 13.12 driver series on linux for
>> most ATI cards right now.
>>

> If don't need your 3D stuff to run as fast as possible, don't bother with
> the non-Open 3D graphics modules.  Just install radeon or nouveau, since
> those don't tend to crash horribly every 5 minutes.
>
>  If it's an Nvidia card, just reinstall the proprietary drivers
>>

> IME, the binary-only modules from nvidia caused many more problems than
> the nouveau modules.  Note that YMMV on this.
>
>  On Mon, Dec 29, 2014 at 8:21 PM, Michael Butash <michael at butash.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I really wanted mint, especiall debian edition to work out as
>>> I almost loathe ubuntu these days, but sadly it's still more
>>> wrecked than ubuntu for real usage, at least until you replace unity.
>>>

> Is there _anyone_ who likes Unity?
>
> --
> Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
> There is no Darkness in Eternity