Inotify Coolness

stevensspam at cox.net stevensspam at cox.net
Fri Dec 26 21:55:42 MST 2014

Inotify is pretty nifty. There's a cross platform Python library called Watchdog which can be used to write python programs which monitor files and directories and on Linux it uses inotify. With Watchdog and tmux I've set up a handy environment to do the Python Koans in. Half the window for vim, and the other half split between a quarter window to show the test results in and a quarter window mainly used for git.

When tmux opens the shell windows it also starts a watchdog script which autoruns the tests whenever any of the files in the directory is modified.