Inotify Coolness

Nathan England nathan at nmecs.com
Fri Dec 26 15:31:55 MST 2014

I just ran across an awesome package in Fedora 21 called inotify-tools
which has a utility called inotifywait. You can create a small script
that will watch a directory or file for inotify events (any or you can
select specific ones) and then execute a script. I develop locally on my
HP Zbook but Filezilla is borked on Fedora 21, so I have an rsync script
that will update the changes from my local box to my development web
server. I added the inotifywait script to watch for local changes and
then it calls my rsync script and I can hit save on a file and then
refresh on a webpage and it's there. I don't have to mess with uploads
or anything. It's awesome!

Just thought I'd share some linux coolness!

--
Regards,
Nathan England

NME Consulting Services http://www.nmecs.com
Nathan England ( nathan at nmecs.com )
Systems Administration / Web Application Development
Information Security Consulting
(480) 559.9681