gender bias

Jill R lists at bespokess.com
Wed Dec 3 14:06:12 MST 2014

I am at least one of the women who has been asked - many times - to present
and declined to do so due to crippling problems with public speaking.  I've
given short talks in the past and it's been ugly (for me), though feedback
from you lovely people was positive so thanks for that.  Others have
offered to work with me by presenting content that I compose, which I have
failed to produce.  btw Hans - I haven't forgotten and swear I have about
half (maybe...) of a pki thing in the works! I've also been involved in
decision-making where it's been needed, and leadership-like activities,
without any pushback from a single soul. Remind me please where I am being
marginalized?

I would argue, and anyone is welcome to disagree in their own opinion, that
"more women for the sake of more women" accomplishes nothing.  More smart
folks who dig Linux/free software is what I work for, choosing to ignore
gender.  My ovaries don't know Linux, I do.  At the risk of a flame war,
we're more equal if we're not defined by our gender but by
our achievements - everyone, male or female, or any other demographic
(race, religion, socioeconomic, etc).  This is my opinion, I offer it only
as something to think on not to argue.  As far as I'm concerned I've said
my piece on this topic and will not debate it any further in this
conversation.

I more so want to address an earlier comment, at risk of treading on that
individual's privacy and calling undue attention, but I feel it's
important.  You raised objection to someone's physical posture and tics as
being somehow related to them being rude to you and then called them an
idiot.  Very mature response, I might add.  As someone with a neurological
status myself that sometimes causes me (blessedly mild) movement-problems
and aphasia (speech disturbances), you may want to check your own attitude
if you think others are being rude in you rpresence.  The attitude and
accusations you've presented are hardly welcoming of diversity.  I guess
I'll just take my boobs (+1 woman) and the missing chunk of my brain (-5,
rude because neuro damage?) and stay out of your way so I don't cause undue
offence.

I remain of the belief that PLUG is a welcoming environment for all who can
themselves behave respectfully and offer myself as a mediator for any
specific incidents that could arise or a sounding board for people who have
concerns (but not mud slinging and public smearing).

Jill

(I'd like to apologize to the group at large for what may be a somewhat less
professional tone of this post than I normally would offer, but that last
point has gotten me quite bothered and my editing hand may not be up to
snuff at the moment.  I'm choosing to post in that moment regardless and
that's all there is to it.)

On 2014-12-03 03:17, Kaoru Wilbur wrote:
> Again, I ask - when was the last female presenter at PLUG.  Topics are
good
> bit please do not deny lack of diversity.
>
> On Tuesday, December 2, 2014, Michelle Lowman <michelle.lowman at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > It has been a long time since I’ve been to a PLUG meeting, but I used to
> be pretty active several years ago. I was frequently the only female in
the
> group, and I did a few presentations, including one on software licenses
> that got a bit lively. I’m sure I learned more from that presentation than
> the audience did.  I’m not a bit shy about doing presentations, so that
> helps. :)
> >
> > I don’t know exactly what things are like now, but I will say that when
> was active, I saw nothing but support from fellow PLUG members. And some
> awkwardness, but that’s just how a lot of us are. I’m not saying that
> discrimination doesn’t happen because I know how much it sucks to report a
> problem and not be believed, but it wasn’t part of my experience with
PLUG.