Can't get HDMI output working properly in Linux Mint

Fred Fifield ffifield at gmail.com
Sun Aug 17 19:23:42 MST 2014

Hi Everyone!

I have Mint 17 loaded on my HP Pavillion dv7 (1273d) and this is the first
time I've taken it out on the road. I'm in a hotel and want to watch a dvd
movie that will play on my laptop on the nice HDTV in my hotel. I hooked
the HDMI cable from my computer to the TV and switched the TV output to the
correct setting. The desktop background shows up on the TV but nothing else
does, no taskbar, no icons, no mouse pointer. Just the background. It seems
like this should be something easy but I can't figure out what it is.

I went into the display setting thinking my issue might be there. The TV
I'm plugged into shows up there but that's it. I've tried googling for an
answer but I don't seem to be able to phrase my request properly because I
keep getting responses for no sound.

Anyway, any help you give will be appreciated. Thank you.

Fred