Can't get HDMI output working properly in Linux Mint

John J. Macey jjmacey at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 00:22:54 MST 2014

Fred,

I am running Mint 17 XFCE, and have recent experiences with my PC, and a
HDTV. Also, I've used a relatives ancient Dell, also running Mint 17, to
play well w/ a HDTV. W/ my PC, I used an HDMI cable, w/ my relatives a
VGA cable.

Both PCs worked well, but I did have to use the TV remote control
options to try to get the full PC display on the TV, but was not 100%
exact. There is a difference how some TVs can be modified to match PC
output. It is difficult to say how to help, but I have found I needed
both PCs on, before I switched the TV on to work. However, both systems
did work well. In the past, I have tried to change resolutions w/ xrandr
<http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/877>. But, had no real
success, and I would be careful here.

Does your system work at home?

John