Looking for secure way to share passwords

Ed plug at 0x1b.com
Sun Oct 27 21:13:14 MST 2013

On Sun, Oct 27, 2013 at 8:25 AM, Mark Phillips
<mark at phillipsmarketing.biz> wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 27, 2013 at 2:12 AM, Ed <plug at 0x1b.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> 1) your compliance officer is having kittens....
> The compliance officer does not like cats.....the team members are the ones
> having kittens.
> PasswordSafe is too complicated for them to use.

ok - if your compliance officer is happy, then me too - PasswordSafe
too complicated... hmm, I would never have guessed that.

>> 3) if you need to control access (AAA), you should think about
nevermind - too complicated, but WF can do that kind of relationship if needed
team gets their own creds for your SAML server, it federates to

> The credentials I am sharing are not for my servers, but for accounts on
> servers
> that I don't manage. Like Wells Fargo.
>>

>> why not keep things simple?
>

> I am all for that!!!! ;)
>>

>> It sounds like you could get by with a plain Apache httpd install that
>> only serves https and requires a client side certificate for access,
>> there really is no reason to put this info on any other systems. Odds
>> are good you can serve this up from your office cable/DSL service
>> without too much trouble.
>

> That would work. My biggest concern is that I am not enough of a security
> expert
> to guarantee that what I whip up is secure enough. So, I am looking for
> recommendations
> for third party solutions that are secure.

Hard to beat a website you host for secure and simple ( ie team
appropriate access) and PLUG does have a security meeting that could
pen test your work.
http://phxlinux.org/meetings/20-linux-security-hackfest.html
The hardest part might be installing certificates in your team's
browsers - not an act many users are familiar with, but easily
cookbooked and should be a one time event. If you run Linux, just load
Apache-httpd (yum or apt or..) and look at http://localhost - I bet it
is already up.

If you have access to your team's computers, it might be easier to
just SSH (remote access) into their systems and keep a file updated on
their system. Team members would then just be working off a local doc
file, almost as easy as hitting a bookmark.

If your only worry is that the file be secure in transit, then this
should be an easy thing.

>> And, NO!  none of this is appropriate for real client credentials -
>> also make your clients pick new random 12 character passwords
>> (MyPasswordSafe can generate them for you if needed) the odds are good
>> that the passwords you are sharing with your team are the same
>> passwords your clients use for personal email and all sorts of other
>> things too.
>

> Since I pass out the credentials and manage them, I control when the
> passwords change.
> I just need a secure and easy way to communicate the changes to the team
> members.
> Remember, the team members cannot spell "pgp", so it has to be really simple
> for them,
> but secure enough to keep a Wells Fargo account login safe.

if you're the originator of the credentials then ~ nevermind

>> Mark - this is bad, really bad
>

> What is bad??? My problem or the proposed solutions?

Didn't understand that these are more like hosted accounts - and not
true client accounts (street) so no ID theft risk or other chicanery.
Disclosure of passwords to third parties will violate terms on many
accounts. Not a problem here as your compliance O is happy.

still wondering about the usefulness of a team that is challenged by
spelling "pgp"  ...