Looking for secure way to share passwords

Mark Phillips mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
Sun Oct 27 08:25:53 MST 2013

On Sun, Oct 27, 2013 at 2:12 AM, Ed <plug at 0x1b.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> 1) your compliance officer is having kittens....  they don't call it
> the "designated felon" position for nothin'
>
> 2) on non-windows systems, PasswordSafe is called MyPasswordSafe - the
> file format is identical and you can send the encrypted store as
> needed. That and a phone call and your clients' info is wherever your
> team needs it. Oh look, more kittens  8)

The compliance officer does not like cats.....the team members are the ones
having kittens.
PasswordSafe is too complicated for them to use.

> 3) if you need to control access (AAA), you should think about
> federating your back office apps with a SAML server - like OpenAM.
> Your team gets their own creds for your SAML server, it federates to
> the backend servers with your {still secret} client's creds and gives
> your team access.

The credentials I am sharing are not for my servers, but for accounts on
servers
that I don't manage. Like Wells Fargo.

> why not keep things simple?

I am all for that!!!! ;)

> It sounds like you could get by with a plain Apache httpd install that
> only serves https and requires a client side certificate for access,
> there really is no reason to put this info on any other systems. Odds
> are good you can serve this up from your office cable/DSL service
> without too much trouble.

That would work. My biggest concern is that I am not enough of a security
expert
to guarantee that what I whip up is secure enough. So, I am looking for
recommendations
for third party solutions that are secure.

> And, NO!  none of this is appropriate for real client credentials -
> also make your clients pick new random 12 character passwords
> (MyPasswordSafe can generate them for you if needed) the odds are good
> that the passwords you are sharing with your team are the same
> passwords your clients use for personal email and all sorts of other
> things too.

Since I pass out the credentials and manage them, I control when the
passwords change.
I just need a secure and easy way to communicate the changes to the team
members.
Remember, the team members cannot spell "pgp", so it has to be really
simple for them,
but secure enough to keep a Wells Fargo account login safe.

> Mark - this is bad, really bad

What is bad??? My problem or the proposed solutions?

Thanks,

Mark