Burning CentOs 6.4 ISO

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Tue Nov 12 20:50:00 MST 2013

Keith, I realize you probably know these things but since you were not
specific about what you did, I will throw them out:

How did you create it in Windows?  You cannot just copy the iso to the
dvd.  Windows 7 is the first Windows to understand burning an ISO.  Before
that you had to use a 3rd party application.  On Windows 7 you should be
able to right click on the .iso file and make the appropriate selection.

The next thing is how did you try booting from the DVD?  Did you set your
BIOS to boot from the CD/DVD drive before the hard drive?  If not you would
very likely have to press a key during boot up to enter a Boot Menu.  That
key differs by manufacturer but is commonly F12 (or F11, F9, F8, ESC, or
TAB).  On some Lenovos it is the blue Think<something> key.

On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 7:26 PM, keith smith <klsmith2020 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am having some difficulty booting from a CentOS 6.4 DVD.
>
> I went here : http://yum.phx.singlehop.com/centos/6.4/isos/i386/
>
> And I selected CentOS-6.4-i386-bin-DVD1.iso and it was copied to my hard
> drive.
>
> I then used windows to create the disk.  I have done this several times.
> The image appears to have been created however the disk is not bootable.  I
> can see the files on the disk.  I've tried using it to boot my laptop and
> my desktop.
>
> I know I have done this in the past and was able to boot from prior
> versions using a DVD image.
>
> The root directory of the DVD contains:
>
> /images/
> /isolinux/
> /Packages/
> /repodata/
> .discinfo
> .treeinfo
> CentOS_BuildTag
> EULA
> GPL
> RELEASE-NOTES-en-US.HTML
> RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-6
> RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-Debug-6
> RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-Security-6
> RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-Testing-6
> TRANS.TBL
>
> Does not look bootable to me.  I've looked for some notes and have not
> found any on the CentOS website.
>
> Any help is much appreciated.
>
> Thanks!!
>
> Keith

Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry

Please protect my address like I protect yours. When sending messages to
multiple recipients, use the BCC: (Blind carbon copy). Remove addresses
from a forwarded message body before clicking Send.