How to promote Plug's value - was: Are Social Networks ...

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Thu May 9 01:35:25 MST 2013

Hans,

On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 10:14 AM, der.hans <PLUGd at lufthans.com> wrote:

> Am 07. May, 2013 schwätzte keith smith so:
>
> moin moin,
>

>  I'd like to thank all those who make PLUG possible.  I know you have put
>> in a lot of effort to keep PLUG alive over the years.  I think I have been
>> on the list for maybe 14 years.  1999???  I've enjoyed all the help and
>> guidance I have received from the list members.
>>
>> Thank you all!!
>>

> Having a community that is useful and valuable is the main thing I get out
> of PLUG. It's good to get confirmation that it is useful and valuable to
> others.
>
> Thank you for the thank you :).

I have had a difficult experience trying to speak with one of the main PLUG
resources for about the last 3 years.

Over the years now, when I approach him at any of the public venues. he
holds up his left ring finger in full view of other members, at me from
across the room, as a way to say "He's Married".  This has consistently
happened in front of other women in PLUG like Jill and Kaia (even at SCALE
with a large room full of my peers).  I have never interacted personally in
any dating way with this member.  Others agreed that they consider it not
only rude, but sexist, and something that would be appalling to Linus and
Open Source gurus of my age, as well as long term friends like Chris DeBona
(Google), Randal Schwartz, and others like Carla Schroder (OReilly), Greg
KH (Linux Foundation).  Additionally, my calls were not answered and my
email were ignored.

When I first started the Hackfests, I had a very difficult time finding a
venue where networking and other resources allowed the type of Lab we
wanted to do.  I was "ordered" not to move the Hackfest.   That was not
similar to Linus' Benevelant Leadership model which I was accustomed in
Oregon!   I ignored it, as Carla and others recommended and continued to
stay in the solution building a viable group and finding a good home for
those who wanted such a lab.

What would you have recommended I do?  What steps would you expect any
group voting on status or censure of such a member or officer?

> ciao,

Thanks

> der.hans
>
> --
> #  http://www.LuftHans.com/        http://www.LuftHans.com/**Classes/<http://www.LuftHans.com/Classes/>
> #  "He read his obituary with confusion." -- Steven Meretzky

(503) 754-4452 Android
(623) 239-3392 Skype
(623) 688-3392 Google Voice
**